What are My Rights if I Have Been Injured in a Florida Vacation Accident?

If you have been injured while visiting Florida for vacation, you may wonder if you are able to collect compensation for your injuries from a different state. The answer is yes. You have the right to collect compensation for your injuries even if you are not a resident of Florida.

Each year, some 100 million people take vacations to Florida from all around the world. Some of the best attractions on the globe are concentrated in one small area. You can see fairytale creatures come to life, mingle with superheroes, and even visit Hogwarts. The possibilities are almost limitless regardless of your age. There are attractions for everyone.

Vacation Accidents in Florida

Unfortunately, just because you are on vacation, does not mean things will always go smoothly. It is easy to be so focused on having fun that being in an accident or suffering an injury can catch you off guard. In some situations, the chances of you being injured or in an accident increase while traveling out of state. You are probably driving more miles and taking part in more activities than you would in a normal day at home. Some of the most common accidents and injuries you can sustain while on vacation in Florida include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Being involved in a car accident in your rental car or personal vehicle. If you are involved in a car accident in Florida, it is important that you follow the same procedures that you would follow if you were in an accident in your home state.
  • Renting a defective piece of equipment such as a scooter or beach bicycle. It is not uncommon for people to rent equipment while vacationing in Florida. While most rental companies require you to sign a waiver, they can still be held liable if the equipment was faulty or defective.
  • Being injured on your rental vacation property. Before renting a vacation home, it is important to see what kind of insurance the owner of the property has. Do they have insurance that covers guest injuries? It is important to know.
  • Sustaining a slip and fall accident while walking in a resort or hotel lobby. Hotels and resorts are required to keep their premises safe for their guests. Failure to do so may result in injuries to you or your family. You may be eligible to be compensated for those injuries.
  • Being the victim of sexual assault while partying in Florida. There are plenty of people out an about partying in Florida. Sadly, sexual assault is not as uncommon as we would like it to be. If you are the victim of sexual assault, the property owner where the assault occurred could be held responsible.
  • Experiencing the wrongful death of a loved one. We like to think of vacations as a time of happy memories, but sadly, sometimes that is not the case. On occasion, a family will suffer the loss of a loved one. If their death was due to the negligence of another entity, you may be entitled to a wrongful death claim against that entity.

The list can seemingly go on and on because there are so many ways to get sick or hurt while vacationing in Florida. If you or your family member is injured, one of the first things you need to do is schedule a consultation with an experienced Florida personal injury attorney. Eventually you will need to go home, but you will need a legal representative in Florida who will protect your rights.

Statute of Limitations and Jurisdiction

One of the most important things you need to know about filing a personal injury claim is that they have a statute of limitations. This means that you have a certain amount of time to file a personal injury claim before you lose that right. The second thing that you need to know is that for the personal injury to be a claim in Florida, the illness or injury must be in the jurisdiction of Florida or occurred inside the borders of the state.

When it comes to Florida personal injury statutes of limitation, in a common claim against another person, you will typically have four years from the date of the accident to file. For a claim against a government entity, the time limit decreases to three years from the date of the accident. For a wrongful death claim, the statute of limitations decreases even further to two years.

While jurisdiction limits may seem self-explanatory, it is important to mention them, too. Many vacations to Florida involve short trips to other areas, as well. Did your illness or injury occur when you took a short trip over to the Bahamas? Was the car accident that you were involved in occur in Georgia rather than Florida? You must be able to prove that your injuries or illness occurred within the state where you file the claim.

Compensation to Which You May be Entitled

If you or your family member is injured while vacationing in Florida, you will be entitled to the same compensation for your illness or injuries that a resident of Florida would be. Just because you are from another state, does not mean that the negligent party is not accountable for the negligent actions and the resulting damages. Compensation for a vacation injury or accident may include, but is not limited to, the following:

  • Medical expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of income
  • Rehabilitation costs
  • Vehicle or rental car damage
  • Disability costs
  • Personal property damage
  • Punitive damages
  • Benefits for wrongful death

Contact an Experienced Florida Personal Injury Attorney

The attorneys at Brill & Rinaldi are accustomed to handling a variety of personal injury claims for families and individuals who have suffered from tragic injuries and illnesses while vacationing in Florida. If you or your loved one was injured while vacationing in Florida, we can help protect your rights, even if you have already gone back home. Having a personal injury attorney where the incident occurred is imperative because we will be able to go directly to the scene of the accident to help determine who the liable party is. It is also more convenient for us to access Florida courts. Contact the attorneys at Brill & Rinaldi today to schedule a consultation and let us protect your rights and get you the compensation that you deserve.